The newspaper began as The Greater Plaquemine Post in 1957, and within 15 years gained recognition as one of the finest weekly newspapers in the nation. The Greater Plaquemine Post operated as a rival publication to the Iberville South until the Post's parent company, Plaquemine Publishing Co., purchased the Iberville South in 1973. The two publications co-existed as separate entitles until 1982, when the two were merged under the name Post/South. Liberty Group Publishing acquired Post/South in 2000. Gatehouse became the parent company in 2005.