The Ceres Courier was established in 1910 when Ceres was home to approximately 500 residents. The paper’s founder was Clarence “Hal” Humphrey Bronaugh, who was born in Illinois and was first employed as a “printer’s devil” in Chicago. He married a Grace Pearl Macomber after he saw her poetry in the paper and they began corresponding. The couple married in Vermont but moved to Colorado where he ran a newspaper in Craig from 1891 to 1895. He came to California where he worked for the Stockton Record and then the Turlock Journal. At one time he owned a quarter of the Turlock paper but left Turlock to start up the Courier in 1910. The newspaper operated out of an old unpainted wood framed structure on Fourth Street, then only a dirt street, and type was set by hand, a laborious process in those days.