The Courier Journal was founded in 1884 as the Florence Herald. It was the premier publication in Northwest Alabama for many years serving the entire area as a subscriber-only newspaper. A change of ownership in 1982 brought about some favorable revisions including a new name, purpose, and a switch to the incomparable effectiveness of direct mail distribution. Today, the Courier Journal receives recognition and respect on the local, state and national levels. The Courier Journal is home owned and operated, helping the local economy prosper and allowing us to offer the lowest print advertising rates in Alabama (2007 Alabama Press Association figures).